A Close Encounter of the Pileated Kind
I forced myself to get out for a run today. This was my reward! I can’t believe how close he let me get. I may have gotten closer if I didn’t slip at the end of the video.
A Few Pileated Woodpecker Facts
- They are not migratory.
- Pairs stay together all year.
- They are territorial. (Hear territorial drumming in video below.)
- Their territorial drumming consists of burst of 11 to 30 taps in less than one second.
- They make rectangular holes and nest in them.
- They do not reuse nesting holes from year to year, but other animals use the woodpecker’s abandoned holes.